The Village of Marquette owes its creation to the Burlington and Missouri Railroad witch began an extension of its rail line from Aurora to Central City in 1879 and completed in the spring of 1880. A new station was needed along the way for the purpose of supplying fuel and water for the engine, to load and deliver freight, to deliver mail and to transport passengers. By the time the rail line was completed there was a post office called "Avon" on the section line kept by Mrs. Nancy Carnahan.
The town was platted in 1882 when the Lincoln Land Company purchased 100 acres of land from J.W. Marquis. After purchasing the land, an older depot was moved in from Dorchester. The town was then named "Marquette" after Thomas Marquette the general attorney for the CB&Q Railroad and Main street was then called "Marquis Avenue" after the original land owner. In December of this same year, the Avon post office was moved and renamed.
George Shears was the first person to purchase a lot in the new town. He built a little shack where he lived with his family and started the first grocery store with a stock of goods worth about ten dollars. The first home was built by James Ruby. Very quickly buildings were built and new businesses were created. The first school, a two room building opened in 1884. The first teachers were Miss Lulu Moor, principal and Minnie Fenton the primary. Marquette continued to grow and was incorporated in March of 1889 with a governing body of five elected officials serving as the board of trustees. The first trustees were Dr. T.H. Line serving as mayor, M.E. Farr, H.D. Hall, R. Cox, and S.P. Boyd.
**In 1906 and again in 1910, fires destroyed buildings on both sides of Marquis Avenue. Unfortunately these fires also destroyed the majority of Marquette's records, making it impossible to verify the complete history of Marquette.